Monday, December 08, 2008

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means. "

I should be studying for my Aristotle final, so naturally I'm blogging instead. Funny how I'm most productive on this thing when I really oughtn't to be...

First of all, brownie points to he or she who can name the movie, character, and actor from which the title of this here post originates (without cheating, of course). But that's not the point (I may be a light poster of late, but I'm not so starved for ideas that I'd merely have a "quote of the day"-type thing going on in place of my actual Musings (though they be few and far between; apologies for that).

Anyhoo, what I'm really itchin' to say is that I find myself thinking that splendid quote oftentimes when I hear people speak. I am moved to give two examples of English language items--one written, one spoken--that make me think my title.

1. "Siked"
Ladies and gentlemen, the above is not a word. A phierce aphinity phor phonetic phonation is phriggin' goophy (sic, duh). Those of you who are guilty of its erroneous usage are looking for a homophone of that word: "psyched," meaning "excited" or "eager." Just an eff-why-eye.

2. "I could care less."
Some people get jolted by the scratching of nails on a chalkboard or babies crying. For me, it's the misuse of this phrase,which--if you pause for one fast second and think on it--is valueless. I daresay what you mean to say is that you could not care less about whatever you don't seem to care about. I hear this one at least every day. I hate being a jerk and pointing it out to people (and I heartily apologize to she to whom I did just that last night), so there y'all go.

Cheers.

5 comments:

Juicy said...

THAT LAST ONE ALWAYS BUGGED ME!!!!!

and whoever spells psyched like that is a dumbass...

kateonbroadway said...

OH MY GOD. PEOPLE ALWAYS SAY "I could care less" and I want to say, "really? You care that much?" thank you Timothy. Thank you.

Juicy said...

lost in translation?

Gavrich said...

Oh bloody hell, Juicy. It's from "The Princess Bride," only one of the most guy-friendly chick flicks of all time! Spoken by actor Mandy Patinkin, who plays Inigo Montoya in the movie. If you haven't seen it, do.

Juicy said...

I've seen it. It's funny enough and a lot of my friends like it but it's not really my taste of chick flick or movie. I never would have considered it that guy friendly but if you insist...